Skip to content

A VISIT TO MEXICO’S COPPER CANYON – PHOTOS, POEMS AND VIDEOS

July 3, 2014

COPPER CANYON MEXICO

Mexico’s spectacular Copper Canyon is four times larger than the Grand Canyon. For spectacular views, we ride El Chepe, the ‘Train in the Sky’, an aerial train that, when at its highest, it is 1475 feet (450 meters) above the valley floor.

We travel  from Phoenix to just south of Tucson. There we see San Xavier Del Bec Mission, a National Historic Landmark founded as a Catholic mission by Father Eusebio Kino in 1692. Construction of the current church was begun in 1783 and completed in 1797.

 The oldest intact European structure in Arizona, the church’s interior is filled with marvelous original statuary and mural paintings. It is a place where visitors can truly step back in time and enter an authentic 18th Century space.
The church retains its original purpose of ministering to the religious needs of its parishioners.
 
History,
The current church dates from the late 1700’s, when Southern Arizona was part of New Spain. In 1783, Franciscan missionary Fr. Juan Bautista Velderrain was able to begin construction on the present structure using money borrowed from a Sonoran rancher. He hired an architect, Ignacio Gaona, and a large workforce of O’odham to create the present church.
 
Following Mexican independence in 1821, San Xavier became part of Mexico. The last resident Franciscan of the 19th Century departed in 1837. With the Gadsden Purchase of 1854, the Mission joined the United States. In 1859 San Xavier became part of the Diocese of Santa Fe. In 1866 Tucson became an incipient diocese and regular services were held at the Mission once again. Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet opened a school at the mission in 1872. The Franciscans returned to the Mission in 1913. Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity now teach at the school and reside in the convent.

Father Eusebio Kino:

Three hundred sixty six years ago today a man was born who became one of history’s foremost explorers of the southwestern United States and northern Mexico. His name was Eusebio Francisco Kino.

This little-known American hero began his life in the small town of Segno, Italy. He was educated in Austria, joined the Society of Jesus in 1665, and departed as a missionary for Mexico in 1678. For the next 33 years until his death in 1711, Father Kino dedicated his life to developing civilization in the uncharted wilderness of the new world.

Father Kino’s work centered on the area then known as Pimeria Alta, which is now southern Arizona and northern Sonora, Mexico. He became a beloved missionary to the Piman Indians, fighting for their land rights and against forced labor in the silver mines of northern Mexico, despite frequent opposition from the Spanish government. Along with numerous missions Father Kino founded, he built 19 ranches and taught the natives the arts of agriculture and animal husbandry, supplying the new settlements with food and livelihood.But that is only a small part of his résumé. He also served as an explorer, cartographer, astronomer, and historian. He was the first to chart the region and is credited with discovering the sources of many rivers there, including the Rio Grande. In 1705, he published the first map of the Pimeria Alta region. It was he who proved the Baja Peninsula was not an island, as was then supposed, and paved the way for future development there. Natives knew him as the priest who conquered the “Devil’s Highway,” a waterless wasteland between Sonoita, Mexico and Arizona’s Gila River, considered largely impassable until then.

His work in astronomy led to the publication in 1711 of Exposicion Astronomica de el Cometa, an account of the Great Comet of 1680 also known as Kirch’s Comet or Newton’s Comet. It was discovered by Gottfried Kirch in 1680, but Kino was able to chart the comet’s course, beginning his observations in Europe and concluding them in Mexico

Altogether this priest-explorer traveled over more than 50,000 square miles in more than 40 expeditions, and his work opened the door to further settlement of California by Jesuit missionaries in the 18th century. After his death, Father Kino’s missions were transferred to the Franciscan order, and many are still in operation today.

He died on March 15, 1711, in Magdalena, Mexico, which was later renamed Magdalena de Kino in his honor.

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission (Detail)

San Xavier Del Bec Mission (Detail)

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission (Interior view)

San Xavier Del Bec Mission (Interior view)

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission - A small chapel

San Xavier Del Bec Mission – A small chapel

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission - Parishioners lighting candles in the chapel

San Xavier Del Bec Mission – Parishioners lighting candles in the chapel

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission  -  courtyard

San Xavier Del Bec Mission – courtyard

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission  -  decorative window guard

San Xavier Del Bec Mission – decorative window guard

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission Museum- There are various displays and signs describing the history and activities of the Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission  -  display of the vestments

San Xavier Del Bec Mission – display of the vestments

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

San Xavier Del Bec Mission

 

 

San Xavier Del Bec Mission  -  Vendors selling Indian Fry Bread

San Xavier Del Bec Mission – Vendors selling Indian Fry Bread

——————————–

 

NOGALES BORDER CROSSING

Nogales is named after a ranch that achieved world-wide fame during the colonial period and was located southeast of the present city of Nogales, Sonora. The city of Nogales arose spontaneously near the point at which the American transcontinental railroad connected the railroad of Sonora, a project completed in 1882.

 

NOGALES MEXICO - BORDER CROSSING

NOGALES MEXICO – BORDER CROSSING

 

 

 

NOGALES MEXICO - BORDER CROSSING

NOGALES MEXICO – BORDER CROSSING

 

 

NOGALES MEXICO - BORDER CROSSING  -  VENDORS SETTING UP

NOGALES MEXICO – BORDER CROSSING – VENDORS SETTING UP

—————————————-

 

 

HERMOSILLO

Hermosillo is a city located centrally in the northwestern Mexican state of Sonora. It is the capital and main economic center for the state and region. It contains almost all of the state’s manufacturing and has seventy percent of its population.

The Spanish colonial government founded a town in 1700 on the former site of an indigenous settlement. The town was renamed in 1828 to honor José María González de Hermosillo, a Mexican general who led an uprising against the Spanish.

Hermosillo’s economy has been increasingly oriented toward trade with the United States since the 1980s, owing in large part to an automobile-assembly plant and the growth of light-industry (export-oriented assembly plants) producing clothing, automobile parts, electronics, and processed foods. In addition to its industrial and administrative functions, Hermosillo is a winter resort and the site of the University of  Sonora (1938). It is also a market and service centre for nearby copper mines and farmlands where cattle are raised and irrigated crops of fruit, wheat, cotton, corn (maize), and beans are grown

 

The Plaza Zaragoza in  Hermosillo  is the main plaza. It is located in the historic center of the city and is surrounded by important buildings such as the  Cathedral de la Asuncion  (Hermosillo’s main church), the Palacio de Gobiern  (house of the state’s executive).

 

 

PLAZA DE ZARAGOZA, HERMOSILLO

PLAZA DE ZARAGOZA, HERMOSILLO

 

 

CATEDRAL DE LA ASUNCION, HERMOSILLO

CATEDRAL DE LA ASUNCION, HERMOSILLO

 

 

CATEDRAL DE LA ASUNCION, HERMOSILLO

CATEDRAL DE LA ASUNCION, HERMOSILLO

 

 

PALACIO DE GOBIERNO, HERMOSILLO

PALACIO DE GOBIERNO, HERMOSILLO

 

 

STATUE OF PADRE EUSEBIO KINO  -  Eusebio Francisco Kino, was a Jesuit priest from a town which is now a part of northern Italy. For the last 24 years of his life he worked in the region then known as the Pimería Alta, modern-day Sonora in Mexico and southern Arizona.

STATUE OF PADRE EUSEBIO KINO – Eusebio Francisco Kino, was a Jesuit priest from a town which is now a part of northern Italy. For the last 24 years of his life he worked in the region then known as the Pimería Alta, modern-day Sonora in Mexico and southern Arizona.

 

 

VENDORS IN THE PLAZA DE ZARAGOZA, HERMOSILLO

VENDORS IN THE PLAZA DE ZARAGOZA, HERMOSILLO

 

 

TOURIST INFORMATION, HERMOSILLO

TOURIST INFORMATION, HERMOSILLO

———————————————

 

 

 

SAN CARLOS

San Carlos Nuevo Guaymas

San Carlos is a beachfront subdivision within the port city of Guaymas, in the northern state of Sonora in Mexico. It is noted for the exceptional clarity and warmth of the ocean water in its shallow bays. It lies on the body of water known as the Sea of Cortez.

SAN CARLOS HARBOR AT NIGHT

SAN CARLOS HARBOR AT NIGHT

 

 

SAN CARLOS HARBOR

SAN CARLOS HARBOR

 

 

SAN CARLOS CHANNELL

SAN CARLOS CHANNEL

SAN CARLOS CHANNEL (DETAIL)  -   INDIAN HEAD

SAN CARLOS CHANNEL (DETAIL) –
INDIAN HEAD

SAN CARLOS

SAN CARLOS

 

 

SAN CARLOS ALONG THE SHORE - HOUSES, MANSIONS AND HOTELS

SAN CARLOS ALONG THE SHORE – HOUSES, MANSIONS AND HOTELS

 

 

SAN CARLOS

SAN CARLOS

 

 

SAN CARLOS

SAN CARLOS

 

 

SAN CARLOS  -   BROWN MEXICAN PELICANS CAN BE SEEN HERE

SAN CARLOS –
BROWN MEXICAN PELICANS CAN BE SEEN HERE

 

 

SAN CARLOS -  BROWN MEXICAN PELICANS (DETAIL)

SAN CARLOS –
BROWN MEXICAN PELICANS (DETAIL)

 

 

SAN CARLOS  -   BOTTLE NOSE DOLPHINS

SAN CARLOS –
BOTTLE NOSE DOLPHINS

————————————————

 

CACTUS GARDEN, SAN CARLOS, SONORA STATE, MEXICO

A BEAUTIFUL CACTUS GARDEN OF SAGUARO AND CARDON CACTI AT THE  PARADISO RESORT AND BEACH CLUB

 

 

CARDON  CACTI

CARDON CACTI

 

 

CARDON CACTI WITH FRUIT

CARDON CACTI WITH FRUIT

 

 

SAGUARO AND CARDON CACTI

SAGUARO AND CARDON CACTI

 

 

SAGUARO AND CARDON CACTI

SAGUARO AND CARDON CACTI

 

 

SAGUARO CACTUS

SAGUARO CACTUS

———————-

 

 

ALAMOS

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: