Skip to content

WESTERN AUSTRALIA – A ROAD TRIP FROM – BROOME TO PERTH – JULY 6 -20 2013

July 29, 2013

FROM JULY 6TH TO THE 20TH, 2013. LEONARD EPSTEIN AND JANELLE BURGESS WERE ABLE TO COMMENCE A 4,500 KILOMETER ROAD TRIP DOWN THE COAST OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, FROM BROOME TO PERTH, FULFILLING A LONG HELD AMBITION TO TRAVEL THROUGH LARGELY UNINHABITED AREAS AND STOPPING OFF IN SMALL TOWNS, CITIES,  AND NATIONAL PARKS. ENDING UP IN PERTH,  THE CAPITAL OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA.

western-australia-map

WESTERN AUSTRALIA  – BROOME TO  PERTH  – A ROAD TRIP

BROOME

This town is often called the gateway to the  Kimberly and was founded as a pearling port over a century ago. This industry still remains a vital part of Broome and proudly produces some of the worlds finest pearls. This charismatic town is set between a large red desert and a beautiful blue sea and lies alongside an amazing pure white beach landscape. Since the early days of pearling, Broome has become a harmonious melting pot of many nationalities. Cable Beach is Western Australia’s most famous beach and is one of the most beautiful in the world, with turquoise waters and impeccable white sand.

SUNSET  AT CABLE BEACH, BROOM, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

SUNSET AT CABLE BEACH, BROOM, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

CAMEL SAFARIS ALONG CABLE BEACH ARE ONE OF THE TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN BROOME

CAMEL SAFARIS ALONG CABLE BEACH ARE ONE OF THE TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN BROOME

BROOME COURTHOUSE MARKETS

The Broome Courthouse Markets have been operating in the heritage grounds of the historic Broome Courthouse for more than 20 years.

The market is managed by a committee made up of stallholders and all profits are donated to other Broome community groups. $20,000.00 was donated at Christmas 2006 to several Broome based organisations.

The market operates all year on a Saturday and on Sundays from April to October. There is a limit of 100 permanent sites on Saturdays and most of these are filled by members who trade most of the year. More than 80% of the products sold on Saturdays are hand made locally in Broome and availability of casual stall sites is extremely limited.

Products include fresh produce, photography, honey, preserves, indigenous and contemporary art, many hand-crafts, clothing, jewellery and a diverse range of freshly cooked food. Buskers entertain the crowds with music and performance. The relaxed atmosphere, shady trees and lawned areas make the Courthouse Markets the ideal place for visitors and locals to mix and sample the quality and range of products available from the local area.

MUSICIAN AT THE BROOME MARKETS

MUSICIAN AT THE BROOME MARKETS

FOOD VENDOR AT THE BROOME MARKETS

FOOD VENDOR AT THE BROOME MARKETS

VENDOR SELLING THE BIG ISSUE MAGAZINE - IT IS A MAGAZINE SOLD BY THE HOMELESS OR DISADVANTAGED

VENDOR SELLING THE BIG ISSUE MAGAZINE – IT IS A MAGAZINE SOLD BY THE HOMELESS OR DISADVANTAGED

THAI MASSAGE IS AVAILABLE AT THE BROOME MARKETS

THAI MASSAGE IS AVAILABLE AT THE BROOME MARKETS

MUSICIAN AT THE BROOME MARKETS

MUSICIAN AT THE BROOME MARKETS

BROOME COURTHOUSE MARKETS

BROOME COURTHOUSE MARKETS

CHILDREN WATCHING THE MAN WITH THE MAGIC ORB

CHILDREN WATCHING THE MAN WITH THE MAGIC ORB

THAI FOOD IS AVAILABLE AT THE BROOME MARKETS

THAI FOOD IS AVAILABLE AT THE BROOME MARKETS

GANTHEUM POINT

At the southern end of Cable Beach, just out of Broome, is Gantheaume Point.

Gantheaume Point was named by the French explorer Nicolas Baudin who passed the area in 1801. His investigation of the area was so cursory that he saw the pindan through his telescope, thought it was separated from the mainland, and named it Gantheaume Island. It wasn’t until Phillip Parker King passed along the coastline in August 1821 that Baudin’s error was corrected.

Gantheaume Point is home of the 130-million-year-old dinosaur footprints,

Gantheaume Point Lighthouse was first built in 1905 as a 47ft open braced steel tower. In 1922 the Gantheaume Point Lighthouse was demanned and in 1984 another new tower made of stainless steel open lattice with tube columns was built.

GANTHEUMPOINT  LIGHTHOUSE

GANTHEUM POINT LIGHTHOUSE

__________________________________________________________________________

PORT HEDLAND

Port Hedland is the second largest town in the Pilbara region of western Australia,  with a population of approximately 14,000, including the satellite town of  South Hedland, 18 km away. It is also the site of the highest tonnage  port  in Australia.

Port Hedland has a natural deep anchorage harbour which, as well as being the main fuel and container receival point for the region, was seen as perfect for shipment of the iron ore being mined in the ranges located inland from the town. The ore is moved by  railway  lines from four major iron ore deposits to the east and south of Port Hedland area. In August 2010 the port exported 13.6 million tonnes of iron ore.

Other major resource activities supported by the town include the offshore natural gas fields, salt, manganese, and livestock. Grazing of cattle and sheep was formerly a major revenue earner for the region but this has slowly declined. Port Hedland was also formerly the terminus for the WAGR Marble Bar railroad,which serviced the gold mining area of Marble Bar.

HISTORY

Port Hedland is known by the  Kariyarra and Nyamal people as Marapikurrinya, which either means “place of good water” (as told by a Nyamal language speaker) and makes reference to the three reliable fresh water soaks  that can still be seen in and around the town, or as the town council’s website says “refers to the hand like formation of the tidal creeks coming off the harbour (marra – hand, pikurri – pointing straight and nya – a place name marker)”.[ According to Dreamtime  legend there was a huge blind water snake living in the landlocked area of water known as Jalkawarrinya. This landlocked area is now the turning basin for the ships that enter the port and as the story goes, “the coming of the big ships meant it was unable to stay”.

Though the coastline in the area had been explored in the 18th century, Captain Peter Hedland was one of the first Europeans to explore the harbour for the purpose of developing an export port. Peter Hedland arrived in the area in April 1863 onboard his boat, Mystery that he had built himself at Point Walter on the banks of the Swan River. He named the harbour Mangrove Harbour and reported that it would make a good landing site with a well protected harbour and that there was also fresh water available. What Hedland failed to point out was that the harbour was difficult to enter because of a huge sandbar that sealed the entrance meaning it was only accessible at high tide and that it was difficult to enter in bad weather because of the narrow entrance.[6]

In 1866, the resident Magistrate of Roeburne, Treverton Sholl, commissioned Charles Wedge,to investigate alternative town sites to Roebourne. Wedge’s reports were pessimistic about the suitability of Port Hedland. In 1891, exploration of the area by Tom Traine, John Wedge and Syd Hedley identified two landings and described the harbour as “pretty as well as safe”. In September 1895, Cossack residents requested the District Surveyor to survey the headland at Port Hedland and requested the Government to build a jetty.

MINING

Goldsworthy Mining developed an iron ore mine approximately 100 kilometres east of Port Hedland in the early 1960s and built the towns of Goldsworthy and later Shay Gap as mine sites. A rail line was then built to Port Hedland where dredging was undertaken to deepen and widen the port’s channel and a wharf was built opposite the township of Port Hedland on Finucane Island. Shipment of ore began on 27 May 1966 when the Harvey S Mudd sailed from Port Hedland to Japan with 24,900 tonnes of ore.

In 1967 iron ore was discovered at Mount Whaleback and a mining venture was undertaken that included the establishment of a new town, Newman, 426 km of rail from the mine to the port and the development of processing equipment at both Newman and Port Hedland. In 1986, at a cost of $87 million, the existing channel was dredged to allow the port to increase the tonnage of those ships able to enter the port. Prior to dredging the port was only able to load vessels less than 2,000 tonnes but today it is able to accommodate ships over 250,000 tonnes.

THE HISTORIC ESPLANADE HOTEL, PORT HEDLAND

THE HISTORIC ESPLANADE HOTEL, PORT HEDLAND

THE ESPLANADE HOTEL. PORT HEDLAND (DETAIL)

THE ESPLANADE HOTEL, PORT HEDLAND (DETAIL).

WAR MEMORIAL  -   The Wall of Rememberance featured here is located on the Esplanade at the entrance to the Port and opposite the Esplanade Hotel, built from 48 tonnes of iron ore donated by various Mining Companies. Building commenced with the laying of the foundation stone by Lt.Col. B.G.Wallis, Commanding Officer, The Pilbara Regiment on Anzac Day,1988 in memory of WX11020 Capt.Bert Madigan MC MID, 2/16th.Btn,AIF, the completed Wall, dedicated to the men and women of the Pilbara for their sacrifices in peace and war, was unveiled by W.O.1 Percy White DCM 18th.August,1991. At the l/h end is mounted a plaque that records that the wall was designed by P.Blenkinsop and bears the names of those who worked on the construction. On the right, in front of the wall, is a 25pdr. field gun.

WAR MEMORIAL – The Wall of Rememberance featured here is located on the Esplanade at the entrance to the Port and opposite the Esplanade Hotel, built from 48 tonnes of iron ore donated by various Mining Companies. Building commenced with the laying of the foundation stone by Lt.Col. B.G.Wallis, Commanding Officer, The Pilbara Regiment on Anzac Day,1988 in memory of WX11020 Capt.Bert Madigan MC MID, 2/16th.Btn,AIF, the completed Wall, dedicated to the men and women of the Pilbara for their sacrifices in peace and war, was unveiled by W.O.1 Percy White DCM 18th.August,1991. At the l/h end is mounted a plaque that records that the wall was designed by P.Blenkinsop and bears the names of those who worked on the construction. On the right, in front of the wall, is a 25pdr. field gun.

PLAQUE DEDICATED TO SARGEANT TONY MORIARTY

PLAQUE DEDICATED TO SARGEANT TONY MORIARTY

PLAQUE IN MEMORY OF CAPT. BERT MADIGAN

PLAQUE IN MEMORY OF CAPT. BERT MADIGAN

PORT FACILITIES AT PORT HEDLAND

PORT FACILITIES AT PORT HEDLAND

PORT HEDLAND JETTY

PORT HEDLAND JETTY

INTERESTING RAILING AT THE PORT HEDLAND WHARF

INTERESTING RAILING AT THE PORT HEDLAND WHARF

PEOPLE FISHING OFF THE PIER AT PORT HEDLAND

PEOPLE FISHING OFF THE PIER AT PORT HEDLAND

CUSTOMS HOUSE AT PORT HEDLAND

CUSTOMS HOUSE AT PORT HEDLAND

___________________________________________________________________

KARIJINI NATIONAL PARK

Karijini is one of the most beautiful national parks in Australia with  ragged ranges, upthrust and twisted by nature, glow in the setting sun. Wedge-tailed eagles soar above grey-green spinifex and goannas shelter under stunted mulga. Kangaroos and wildflowers dot the plains, criss-crossed by deep, dark chasms emitting the enticing sound of distant water.

While the narrow, breathtaking gorges, with their hidden, sculptured pools are Karijini’s biggest drawcard, the park is also home to a wide variety of fauna and flora, with an estimated 800 plant species, including some 50 varieties of wattle (acacia). Dragon lizards scurry over stones, rock wallabies cling to sheer cliffs and endangered olive pythons lurk on the far side of pools. The park also contains WA’s three highest peaks: Mt Meharry, Mt Bruce and Mt Frederick.

SUNSET AT KARIJINI NATIONAL PARK

SUNSET AT KARIJINI NATIONAL PARK

JOFFRE GORGE IN KARIJINI NATIONAL PARK

JOFFRE GORGE IN KARIJINI NATIONAL PARK

JUNCTION POOL SIGN

JUNCTION POOL SIGN

JUNCTION POOL SEEN FROM ABOVE

JUNCTION POOL SEEN FROM ABOVE

LOOKING DOWN TO JUNCTION POOL

LOOKING DOWN TO JUNCTION POOL

ANOTHER VIEW OF JUNCTION POOL

ANOTHER VIEW OF JUNCTION POOL

KNOX GORGE -  KARIJINI  NATIONAL PARK

KNOX GORGE – KARIJINI NATIONAL PARK

TOURISTS GOING DOWN INTO KNOX GORGE

TOURISTS GOING DOWN INTO KNOX GORGE

TOURISTS ARE HALF WAY DOWN TO THE GORGE

TOURISTS ARE HALF WAY DOWN TO THE GORGE

BOTTOM OF KNOX GORGE

BOTTOM OF KNOX GORGE

A MEMORIAL CROSS TO JIMMY REGAN -  James Regan died during a rescue operation in the Karijini National Park.

A MEMORIAL CROSS TO JIMMY REGAN – James Regan died during a rescue operation in the Karijini National Park.

Snappy Gum (Eucalyptus leucophloia) Karijini National Park.

Snappy Gum (Eucalyptus leucophloia)
Karijini National Park.

Snappy Gum (Eucalyptus leucophloia) Karijini National Park.

Snappy Gum (Eucalyptus leucophloia)
Karijini National Park.

_____________________________________________________________

ON THE ROAD FROM KARIJINI NATIONAL PARK TO CORAL BAY

WE NOW HEAD TO CORAL BAY  AND WILL GO THROUGH PARABURDOO

WE NOW HEAD TO CORAL BAY AND WILL GO THROUGH PARABURDOO

MEMORIAL STONES LOOKOUT

On the way into Tom Price (the town closest to Karijini) we had a look at a lookout. At the top were piles of rocks with ‘in memoriam’ inscriptions on them. These rocks are apparently placed here to honor those that have died in the local mines.

MEMORIAL STONES LOOKOUT

MEMORIAL STONES LOOKOUT

A rock pile memorial on top of a hill near Tom Price. The writings on the rocks honour those people who have died in the nearby mines..

A rock pile memorial on top of a hill near Tom Price. The writings on the rocks honor those people who have died in the nearby mines.

Some rocks honour other, non-mining related tragedies..

Some rocks honor other, non-mining related tragedies.

A PERFECT PLACE TO LEAVE A MEMORIAL TO A LOVED ONE

A PERFECT PLACE TO LEAVE A MEMORIAL TO A LOVED ONE

MEMORIAL STONES - 15 KILOMETERS FROM THE TOWN OF TOM PRICE

MEMORIAL STONES – 15 KILOMETERS FROM THE TOWN OF TOM PRICE

THE TERRAIN IS A RICH RED WITH SPINIFEX SHRUBS SCATTERED OVER  THE DISTANT HILLS

THE TERRAIN IS A RICH RED WITH SPINIFAX SHRUBS SCATTERED OVER THE DISTANT HILLS

NANATURRA ROAD HOUSE IS 200  KMS FROM THE NEAREST  GAS STATION, AND IS THE ONLY FILL YOUR GAS TANK

NANATURRA ROAD HOUSE IS 200 KM FROM THE NEAREST GAS STATION, AND IS THE ONLY PLACE TOFILL YOUR GAS TANK

NANATURRA ROAD HOUSE (GAS STATION)

NANATURRA ROAD HOUSE (GAS STATION)

___________________________________________________________

CORAL BAY

Coral Bay is a small settlement that lies protected from the Indian ocean by the Ningaloo Reef, It is Australia’s only fringing reef. (Fringing reefs are closest to shore, sometimes touching the shore. They follow a shore from beach to beach, creating a chain of reefs. Fringing reefs are found around new and developing islands, compared to the age of the world. These reefs are formed from decaying sea life and polyps. Young fringing reefs that are still growing are called apron reefs).  In contrast to other locations the coral starts right at the water’s edge. The fish and the coral  can be seen by either snorkelling or on one of the Coral glass bottom boats.

Coral Bay is a small town on the coast of Western Australia, 1,200 kilometres (750 mi) north of Perth. Its a small village comprising of two caravan parks, the Ningaloo Reef Resort, a small supermarket, and about twenty houses. The main industries are tourism and fishing. The electricity for the town is provided by a wind=diesel hybrid system.The Ningaloo reef,  is a popular diving and snorkeling site with a large variety of coral and fish life and is one of the best places to see whale sharks and manta rays.

The first Europeans to visit the area were the crew of the schooner Maud that landed in 1884. By 1896 a town site reserve was gazetted to preserve the local jetty and storage facility. In 1915 the town was officially named “Mauds Landing”; it played a pivotal role in the development of the North West region acting as a supply depot for ingoing and outgoing goods.Coral Bay was formally settled much later in 1968 and was named after a hotel that had been established in the area.

CORAL BAY IS A SMALL VILLAGE WITH A FEW STORES AND SOME RESTAURANTS

CORAL BAY IS A SMALL VILLAGE WITH A GAS STATION, A FEW STORES AND SOME RESTAURANTS

CORAL BAY SHOPPING MALL

CORAL BAY SHOPPING MALL

PEOPLES PARK CARAVAN VILLAGE - CORAL BAY

PEOPLES PARK CARAVAN VILLAGE – CORAL BAY

STUNNING SUNSETS OVER CORAL BAY

SUNSET OVER CORAL BAY

SUNSET OVER CORAL BAY

SUNSET OVER CORAL BAY LOOKING NORTH

SUNSET OVER CORAL BAY
LOOKING NORTH

SETTING SUN CORAL BAY

SETTING SUN CORAL BAY

THE SUN HAS SET OVER CORAL BAY

Ningaloo Reef is home to over 500 species of fish, over 250 different varieties of Coral & abundant species of invertebrates. With a unique mixing of warm tropical and cool temperate waters, as well as minimal anthropogenic influences, Ningaloo reef is among the healthiest of reef systems worldwide.

Here are some of the varieties of coral that I saw at Coral Bay

DIFFERENT VARIETIES LIE BENEATH THE SURFACE

DIFFERENT VARIETIES LIE BENEATH THE SURFACE

CLOSE-UP OF THE CORAL

CLOSE-UP OF THE CORAL

CORAL WILL APPEAR BECAUSE OF THE TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER, IN MORE TROPICAL CLIMATES THE CORAL IS MUCH MORE COLORFUL

CORAL WILL APPEAR GREEN  BECAUSE OF THE TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER, IN MORE TROPICAL CLIMATES THE CORAL IS MUCH MORE COLORFUL

DIFFERENT VARIETIES OF CORAL CAN BE SEEN HERE AT CORAL BAY

DIFFERENT VARIETIES OF CORAL CAN BE SEEN HERE AT CORAL BAY

FISH CAN ALSO BE SEEN FROM THE GLASS BOTTOM BOATS AT CORAL BAY

FISH CAN ALSO BE SEEN FROM THE GLASS BOTTOM BOATS AT CORAL BAY

SOME DIFFERENT VARIETIES OF FISH CAN BE SEEN HERE

SOME DIFFERENT VARIETIES OF FISH CAN BE SEEN AT CORAL BAY

___________________________________________________________

EXMOUTH

Exmouth began life during WWII as a US submarine base, though the town didn’t flourish until the 1960s with the establishment of the Very Low Frequency (VLF) communications facility at the North West Cape. Fishing (especially prawns) and oil and gas exploration commenced, and both industries are still thriving – the flares of gas platforms are visible from Vlamingh Head at night.

With the protection of pristine Ningaloo Reef, tourism now accounts for the bulk of all visitors, many coming to see the magnificent and enigmatic whale sharks (April to July). Peak season (April to October) sees this laid-back town stretched to epic proportions, but don’t be put off, as it’s still the perfect base to explore nearby Ningaloo Marine and Cape Range National Parks. Alternatively, just relax, wash away the dust after a long road trip and enjoy the local wildlife; emus walking down the street, ‘roos lounging in the shade, lizards ambling across the highway and corellas, galahs and ringnecks screeching and swooping through the trees.

Exmouth is at the western end of the Pilbara’s ‘cyclone alley’, and in 1999 Cyclone Vance caused widespread devastation, reaching wind speeds of 267km/h. Once hailed as ‘New Broome’ (the marina development that stalled during the 2009 global financial crisis is showing signs of life again), with Rio Tinto’s successful application to billet its FIFO workers in local accommodation, hopefully the town won’t become ‘New Karratha’.

Exmouth is one of the few areas in Australia that can boast the Range to Reef experience.The Cape Range National Park, with its spectacular gorges, is nestled on the west coast of the Cape and provides a large variety of camp sites on the coastal fringe of the park. You can hike through walk trails and gorges offering some of the best views in the west, or indulge in relaxing at pristine sandy beaches with crystal clear turquoise waters. Visit the top of the Range to see the sun rise and set over the beautiful beaches that encompass the North West Cape.

Reset Cart Terms/Conditions Vlamingh Head Lighthouse The Vlamingh Head Lighthouse is located 17km north of the Exmouth townsite. The Lighthouse overlooks Lighthouse Bay and has the distinction of being one of the few places in Australia where you can watch the sun rise and set. The Lighthouse was built in 1912 and stands on the northernmost tip of the Cape Range.

The Vlamingh Head Lighthouse is located 17km north of the Exmouth townsite. The Lighthouse overlooks Lighthouse Bay and has the distinction of being one of the few places in Australia where you can watch the sun rise and set. The Lighthouse was built in 1912 and stands on the northernmost tip of the Cape Range. No tours are currently conducted into the Lighthouse.

SIGN AT THE EXMOUTH TOWN BEACH

SIGN AT THE EXMOUTH TOWN BEACH

LIGHTHOUSE BAY SEEN FROM THE VLAMINCK LIGHTHOUSE

LIGHTHOUSE BAY SEEN FROM THE VLAMINGH LIGHTHOUSE

VLAMINCK LIGHTHOSE SIGN ABOUT THE HISTORICAL PRECINCT AT THE LIGHTHOUSE

VLAMINGH LIGHTHOUSE SIGN ABOUT THE HISTORICAL PRECINCT AT THE LIGHTHOUSE

HOW THE VLAMINCK LIGHTHOUSE AME TO BE HERE.

HOW THE VLAMINGH LIGHTHOUSE CAME TO BE

PLANE SPOTTERS AT THE VLAMINCK LIGHTHOUSE

PLANE SPOTTERS AT THE VLAMINGH LIGHTHOUSE

RADAR TOWER AT THE VLAMINCK LIGHTHOUSE

RADAR TOWER AT THE VLAMINGH LIGHTHOUSE

HOW THE WAR CAME TO THE CAPE

HOW THE WAR CAME TO THE CAPE

VLAMINCK LIGHTHOUSE AND THE RADAR TOWER

VLAMINGH LIGHTHOUSE AND THE RADAR TOWER

A HISTORY SIGN IN THE TOWN OF EXMOUTH

A HISTORY SIGN IN THE TOWN OF EXMOUTH

__________________________________________________________

STROMATOLITES OF HAMELIN POOL

A visit to the remarkable Hamelin Pool stromatolites in Western Australia is a must when visiting at Shark Bay.  The Hamelin Pool stromatolites are oldest and largest living fossils on earth. Stromatolites are considered ‘living fossils’, part of the Earth’s evolutionary history.

Hamelin Pool in Western Australia is a place of great interest to botanists and geologists as it gives an indication of what the earth may have looked like about 3.5 billion years ago, when stromatolites grew widespread across the water. Visitors can view these amazing life forms, without causing damage by walking on a purpose built jetty and looking down at the Hamelin Pool stromatolites below.

How the HamelinPool stromatolites formed.

Living microbes that build the stromatolites are similar to those found in 3,500 million year old rocks which are the earliest record of life on earth. As such, the stromatolites provide a record of local environmental changes. Hamelin Pool in Western Australia is one of only two places on earth where living marine stromatolites exist.

The marine stromatolites found in Hamelin Pool of Shark Bay are considered to be the best example of their kind found in the world. Stromatolites grow successfully and undisturbed at Hamelin Pool because the sea water is twice as saline as usual sea water due to a bar across the entrance of the bay and also due to rapid evaporation from shallow water.

Stromatolites which are found to be up to a metre high are believed to be hundreds to thousands of years old as they grow at a maximum of 0.3mm per year.
The Hamelin Pool stromatolites are about a half hour drive from Denham. You can get to Denham in a day’s drive or two hour flight from Western Australia’s gateway city, Perth.

HAMELIN POOL STRAMATOLITES

HAMELIN POOL STRAMATOLITES

SIGN SHOWING THE HISTORY OF STRAMATOLITES

SIGN SHOWING THE HISTORY OF STRAMATOLITES

STROMATOLITES

STROMATOLITES

SIGN ABOUT STROMATOLITES

SIGN ABOUT STROMATOLITES

RED CAPPED STROMATOLITES

RED CAPPED STROMATOLITES

LAYERS OF HISTORY

LAYERS OF HISTORY

LAYERS OF HISTORY

LAYERS OF HISTORY

LIVING ROCK

LIVING ROCKS

LIVING ROCKS

LIVING ROCKS

_________________________________________________________

CARNARVON

Carnarvon is a coastal town situated approximately 900 kilometres north of Perth, Western Australia. It lies at the mouth of the Gascoyne River on the Indian Ocean.

Lighthouse Keepers Cottage Museum, Railway Station Museum and the One Mile Jetty, where locals fish for mulloway; you can either walk or take a vintage tram to the end of the jetty.

LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS COTTAGE CARNARVON

LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS COTTAGE CARNARVON

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS COTTAGE

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS COTTAGE

CARNARVON LIGHTHOSUSE DESCRIPTION

CARNARVON LIGHTHOSUSE
DESCRIPTION

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE DINING ROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE DINING ROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE BEDROOM (SIDE VIEW)

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE BEDROOM (SIDE VIEW)

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE BEDROOM (CENTER VIEW)

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE BEDROOM (CENTER VIEW)

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE CHILDREN'S BEDROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE
CHILDREN’S BEDROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE DINING ROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE
DINING ROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE LAUNDRY ROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE COTTAGE
LAUNDRY ROOM

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE OUTDOOR WATER PUMP

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE
OUTDOOR WATER PUMP

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE

CARNARVON LIGHTHOUSE

__________________________________________________________

COFFEE POT TRAIN

Carnarvon’s Coffee Pot Train is affectionately named because of its coffee pot shaped smoke stack. If you’re not up to walking or need to bring the big catch back in, you can ride on the Coffee Pot Train out on the One Mile Jetty.

Coffee Pot train runs along the historical One Mile Jetty. You can see the Gascoyne river mouth, mangrove and marine life and migrating birds. The jetty is also renowned for its great fishing.
The Tramway Bridge, which crosses the south arm of the Gascoyne River was constructed during the 1900s to transport goods between the port of Carnarvon and town centre. The last of the steam trains to operate in the north of the State, the ‘Kimberley’ was saved and restored at the Carnarvon Heritage Precinct and is open for inspection.  The kiosk and Coffee Pot train operate everyday from April-November (weekends between December and March).

File:Carnarvon Jetty, Western Australia.jpg

CARNARVON JETTY

COFFEE POT TRAIN CARNARVON

COFFEE POT TRAIN
CARNARVON

COFFEE POT TRAIN CARNARVON TRAVELING OVER THE ONE MILE JETTY

COFFEE POT TRAIN CARNARVON TRAVELING OVER THE ONE MILE JETTY

GASGOYNE RIVER AND MANGROVE

GASGOYNE RIVER AND MANGROVE

GASGOYNE RIVER MANGROVE

GASGOYNE RIVER MANGROVE

FISHING OFF THE ONE MILE JETTY

FISHING OFF THE ONE MILE JETTY

____________________________________________________________

BLOWHOLES OF QUOBBA

The Blowholes just north of Carnarvon at Quobba on the Coral Coast in Western Australia were first discovered by Europeans in 1911 and since then they have become an increasingly popular tourist attraction.

The Blowholes are caused by waves being forced through undersea caves and upwards through small outlets in the reefs that hug the shore. A powerful jet of water is forced with terrific pressure through a hole in the rocks up to 20 metres high with an eerie whooshing sound and is absolutely spectacular.

QUOBBA BLOWHOLE PLAQUE

QUOBBA BLOWHOLE PLAQUE

IMG_4880 IMG_4881 IMG_4882QUOBBA BLOWHOLES

QUOBBA COASTLINE

QUOBBA COASTLINE

QUOBBA COAST LINE

QUOBBA COASTLINE  (DETAIL)

_____________________________________________________________

MONKEY MIA

Monkey Mia is a popular tourist destination located about 800 km north
of Perth, Western Australia. The reserve is 25 km northeast of the
town of Denham in the Shark Bay Marine Park and World Heritage Site.

The main attraction is the daily feeding of the bottlenose dolphins
that have been coming close to shore for more than forty years.
Rangers from the Department of Environment and Conservation carefully
supervise the process.
History
Mia is the Aboriginal term for home or shelter, while the Monkey part
of the name is allegedly derived from a pearling boat called Monkey
that anchored at the now Monkey Mia in the late 19th century, during
the days when pearling was an industry in the region. However, the
Geographic Names Committee, hosted by Landgate (The Western Australian
Land Information Authority) has stated that the most likely origins of
the name are that it was included in a list of Aboriginal names and
their meanings supplied by the Geraldton Police Station in approx 1899
– the meaning of the name is given as “Salt or bad water”, or after
the pet monkeys owned by early Malay pearlers who camped at the
location, or as a colloquialism for “sheep”,[1] or that it was named
for a schooner called Monkey that arrived in 1834.

The area was originally gazetted in 1890 and used as a base for the
pearling and fishing industries. In the 1960s, a fisherman and his
wife began feeding Bottlenose Dolphins when returning with their
catch. As news of the dolphins coming inshore spread, visitors started
to come to see them. In 1985, an information centre was built, and
in 1988, a special state government grant was provided to develop
roads, carparks, and facilities.

In November 1990, the waters adjoining Monkey Mia were declared a
Marine Park managed by the Department of Conservation and Land
Management.

In recent years, more attention has been given to the Aboriginal roots
of the area and their knowledge of the local land. For visitors, the
most visible evidence of this change is the culture walks, where
visitors are taught to respect the land.

Monkey Mia is also the lab location for extensive behavioural and
biological research on bottlenose dolphins. Drawn to the area’s famous
‘beach dolphins’, researchers Richard Connor and Rachel Smolker
started the Monkey Mia Dolphin research project in 1982. Their
research interests quickly expanded to include hundreds of the nearby
Shark Bay dolphins. Since this visit, scientists have come from
prestigious institutions in Australia, North America and Europe. The
dolphins have been extensively studied by this international team of
scientists since 1984.

BETWEEN 7:30 AND 8:30 AM BOTTLE NOSE COME C;OSE TO SHORE TO BE FED AT MONKEY MIA

BETWEEN 7:30 AND 8:30 AM BOTTLE NOSE DOLPHINS COME CLOSE TO SHORE TO BE FED AT MONKEY MIA

PEOPLE WILL SOON BE FEEDING THE DOLPHINS

PEOPLE WILL SOON BE FEEDING THE DOLPHINS

THE DOLPHINS HAVE COME INTO SHORE TO BE FED

THE DOLPHINS HAVE COME INTO SHORE TO BE FED

THESE DOLPHINS ARE USED TO THE PEOPLE COMING TO FEED THEM EVERY MORNING

THESE DOLPHINS ARE USED TO THE PEOPLE COMING TO FEED THEM EVERY MORNING

MARKINGS ON THE FIN IDENTIFY EACH SPECIFIC DOLPHIN

MARKINGS ON THE FIN
IDENTIFY EACH SPECIFIC DOLPHIN

DOLPHIN MOTHER AND HER CALF

DOLPHIN MOTHER AND HER CALF

DOLPHIN COMING INTO SHORE TO BE FED

DOLPHIN COMING INTO SHORE TO BE FED

DOLPHIN BEING FED BY A VOLUNTEER

DOLPHIN BEING FED BY A VOLUNTEER

DOLPHINS KNOW WHEN THEY WILL BE FED AND TEND TO COME AT THE SAME TIME EACH MORNING

DOLPHINS KNOW WHEN THEY WILL BE FED AND TEND TO COME AT THE SAME TIME EACH MORNING

DOLPHINS THAT THEY WILL BE FED AND COME IN EVERY MORNING AT THE SAME TIME

DOLPHINS THAT THEY WILL BE FED AND COME IN EVERY MORNING AT THE SAME TIME

EMUS ARE ALSO SEEN AT MONKEY MIA

EMUS ARE ALSO SEEN AT MONKEY MIA

_____________________________________________________

MONKEY MIA WALKING TRAIL

The Wulyibidi yaninyina Trail

Wulybidi Yaninyina (Malgana Aboriginal language for  ́walking peron ́) provides a good introduction to Shark Bay’. A rare thick-billed grass wren are found in and around thicker vegetation along the trail. The trail winds through a coastal sandplain and up a small slope to a bird hide and lookout on the top of a dune. It then continues along this sandy dune through acacia shrubland before descending to the beach.An excellent way to explore the local landscape of Monkey Mia.

SHARK BAY AS SEEN FROM THE WALKING TRACK

SHARK BAY AS SEEN FROM THE WALKING TRACK

ACACIA SCRUBLAND ON THE WALKING TRACK

ACACIA SCRUBLAND ON THE WALKING TRACK

SIGN ABOUT THE THORNY DEVIL LIZARD SEEN HERE AT MONKEY MIA

SIGN ABOUT THE THORNY DEVIL LIZARD SEEN HERE AT MONKEY MIA

LOVELY FLOWERS SEEN ON THE WALKING TRAIL

LOVELY FLOWERS SEEN ON THE WALKING TRAIL

COASTAL SAND PLAIN AT MONKEY MIA

COASTAL SAND PLAIN AT MONKEY MIA

__________________________________________________________

FRANCOIS PERON NATIONAL PARK

FRANCOIS PERON HOMESTEAD

Named after the French Zoologist who accompanied the Nicolas Baudin scientific expedition to southern and western Australia in 1801, the Francois Peron National Park covers some 52,500 hectares at the northern extreme of the Peron Peninsula. Under the care of the Department of Conservation and Land Management this area has become one of the most important natural areas in Australia and is home to many rare and endangered species.

Peron Homestead was a working pastoral station in the early 1900,  and gives an insight into life on a sheep farm during the earlier part of the last century. A walk around the precinct visiting the shearing shed and stock yards you can read about the station’s interesting past.

Peron Homestead is located within Francois Peron National Park just 15 minutes from the town of Denham and eight hours drive north of Perth.

SIGN AT THE FRANCOIS PERON HOMESTEAD

SIGN AT THE FRANCOIS PERON HOMESTEAD

OLD SHEARERS QUATERS

OLD SHEARERS QUARTERS

SHEARERS SLEEPING QUARTERS

SHEARERS SLEEPING QUARTERS

SLEEPING QUARTERS FOR THE SHEARERS

SLEEPING QUARTERS FOR THE SHEARERS

COOKHOUSE AND MESS

COOKHOUSE AND MESS

SHEARERS MESS HALL

SHEARERS MESS HALL

SHEARERS MESS HALL

SHEARERS MESS HALL

 SIGN EXPLAINING THE OPERATIONS OF THE SHEARING SHED


SIGN EXPLAINING THE OPERATIONS OF THE SHEARING SHED

SHEEP STOCKYARDS

SHEEP STOCKYARDS

ENTRANCE TO THE SHEARING SHED

ENTRANCE TO THE SHEARING SHED

SHEEP ARE SHORN IN THESE PENS

SHEEP ARE SHORN IN THESE PENS

AFTER THE WOOL IS SHORN, IT IS PROCESSED,GRADED AND WEIGHED

AFTER THE WOOL IS SHORN, IT IS PROCESSED,GRADED AND WEIGHED

WOOL WAS PRESSED INTO BALES BY A LARGE WOOL PRESS

WOOL WAS PRESSED INTO BALES BY A LARGE WOOL PRESS

WOOL PRESS

WOOL PRESS

WIND POWER IS AT THE HOMESTEAD

WIND POWER IS AT THE HOMESTEAD

SPAGHETTI JUNCTION SIGN EXPLAINING HOW WATER WAS PUMPED AROUND THE PROPERTY

SPAGHETTI JUNCTION SIGN EXPLAINING HOW WATER WAS PUMPED AROUND THE PROPERTY

SPAGHETTI JUNCTION VALVE AND TAP SYSTEM

SPAGHETTI JUNCTION
VALVE AND TAP SYSTEM

SIGN ABOUT THE HOMESTEAD HORSE YARDS

SIGN ABOUT THE HOMESTEAD HORSE YARDS

HOMESTEAD HORSE YARDS

HOMESTEAD HORSE YARDS

_______________________________________________________

KALBARRI

Kalbarri is a Western Australian resort town, fast becoming a popular destination with overseas and Australian visitors. The history of the area extends back to 1629, before being wrecked on the nearby offshore Abrolhos Islands, the Dutch East India trading ship Batavia, put two mutinous crew ashore at Wittecarra Creek near Bluff Point, south of Kalbarri. They are believed to be the first permanent European settlers to this country.

In 1712 another Dutch East Indies trading vessel, Zuytdorp, became the first recorded of the many boats wrecked on the rugged cliffs of the Murchison area. The site of the 1712 calamity is commemorated by the naming of the Zuytdorp Cliffs north of the Murchison rivermouth at Kalbarri.

The name Kalbarri comes from the aboriginal word for “edible seed” and also they say from one of the local aboriginal tribesman. The Murchison River is named after Sir Frederick Murchison by Lt George Gray who was shipwreck along the coast.

Kalbarri is located at the mouth of the Murchison River, with the back drop of the Indian Ocean and the Zuytdorp cliffs, famous for many a shipwreck. Kalbarri became a town in the early 1950`s. Initally being a quiet fishing town, Kalbarri has grown to a population of around 2000 with many people in the crayfishing and tourisism industry.

During holiday seasons, the population can reach 6000 visitors with 200,000 people visiting Kalbarri every year.

 

KALBARRI SEEN FROM A NEARBY LOOKOUT

KALBARRI SEEN FROM A NEARBY LOOKOUT

ZUYTDORP MEMORIAL SIGN AT THE LOOKOUT

ZUYTDORP MEMORIAL SIGN AT THE LOOKOUT

PLAQUE AT THE ZUYTDORP LOOKOUT

PLAQUE AT THE ZUYTDORP LOOKOUT

ZUYTDORP SHIPWRECK SIGN

ZUYTDORP SHIPWRECK SIGN

ZUYTDORP CLIFFS SIGN

ZUYTDORP CLIFFS SIGN

ZUYTDORF WENT AGROUND HERE IN KALBARRI

ZUYTDORF WENT AGROUND HERE IN KALBARRI

KALBARRI BEACH

KALBARRI BEACH

THE RAGING SURF AT KALBARRI WHERE THE ZUYTDORF WENT AGROUND

THE RAGING SURF AT KALBARRI WHERE THE ZUYTDORF WENT AGROUND

RED BLUFF AT KALBARRI

RED BLUFF AT KALBARRI

SIGN EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPENED AT RED BLUFF

SIGN EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPENED AT RED BLUFF

MUSHROOM ROCK SEEN FRO THE MUSHROOM ROCK TRAIL -Mushroom Rock Trail is a leisurely two hour walk track within Kalbarri National Park that leads you to the unusual sight of Mushroom Rock and the spectacular Rainbow Valley gorge. Read the information plaques along the trail to learn fascinating information about the flora and fauna in the park and the geological features of the rock and gorge.

MUSHROOM ROCK SEEN FRO THE MUSHROOM ROCK TRAIL -Mushroom Rock Trail is a leisurely two hour walk track within Kalbarri National Park that leads you to the unusual sight of Mushroom Rock and the spectacular Rainbow Valley gorge.

MUSHROOM ROCK TRAIL

MUSHROOM ROCK TRAIL

RUGGED CDOASTLINE AT KALBARRI

RUGGED COASTLINE AT KALBARRI

________________________________________________________

PORT GREGORY PINK LAKE

The Hutt Lagoon is a superb example of a pink lake: a naturally occurring phenomenon that occurs when algae ‘blooms’ and produces beta carotene – a pigment that has become a lucrative aquaculture crop.

Hutt Lagoon can be found just out of Port Gregory, which is located 47 kilometres west of Northampton. Port Gregory is situated near the mouth of the Hutt River and is a picturesque fishing village that is surrounded by five kilometres of exposed reef.

PORT GREGORY PINK LAKE

PORT GREGORY PINK LAKE

PORT GREGORY PINK LAKE SEEN FROM THE ROAD TO PORT GREGORY

PORT GREGORY PINK LAKE SEEN FROM THE ROAD TO PORT GREGORY

PINK LAKE AT PORT GREGORY -      Summary     Weather for Port Gregory Port Gregory, a thriving fishing and tourist village situated 47 kilometres north west of Northampton, is bounded by the fascinating "Pink Lake" and protected by a five kilometre exposed coral reef which provides safe anchorage and boat launching areas for fishing and water sports. There is also a beautiful safe swimming beach, complete with shelter sheds. Other facilities include a caravan park, community hall, tennis courts and general store. Due to the reef there is a natural harbour featuring a clean beach for swimmers. There is a large jetty and water-ski area. jetty and offshore fishing swimming and windsurfing are popular activities. Port Gregory is also recognised as a popular area for rock lobsters. The Hutt Lagoon is a magnificent pink lake. The colour of the lagoon is due to a bacteria (Dunaliella Salina) which becomes trapped in the salt granules. This provides a rich source of Beta Carotene, which is harvested from small ponds. Visitors should view the lake at sundown as the lagoon changes colour from mauve to pink to a slightly darker purple.

PINK LAKE AT PORT GREGORY –
The color of the lagoon is due to a bacteria (Dunaliella Salina) which becomes trapped in the salt granules. This provides a rich source of Beta Carotene, which is harvested from small ponds. Viewing the lake at sundown, the lagoon changes color from mauve to pink to a slightly darker purple.

_________________________________________________________

PINNACLES AT CERVANTES

Cervantes is a town in Western Australia off Indian Ocean Drive about
198 kilometres (123 mi) north-north-west of the state capital, Perth
in the Shire of Dandaragan local government area. At the 2006 census,
Cervantes had a population of 467.[1] The town was named after a ship
that was wrecked nearby. The ship, in turn, was named after Miguel de
Cervantes, author of Don Quixote. The Pinnacles are
nearby in Nambung National Park which makes for a small industry from
tourism. Pinnacles are incredible natural limestone structures that stand up to three and a
half metres tall.
The Pinnacles were created by an age of natural processes that have
combined to remove the surrounding material from ancient shells. The
shells were broken down into lime rich sands which were carried inland
to form high mobile dunes. And the result is the phantasmagorical
array of limestone structures that jut out from the surrounds.
The unusual formations appear other-worldly and are a particularly
stunning sight in the glow of the setting or rising sun.

SIGN AT THE PINNACLES VISITOR CENTER

SIGN AT THE PINNACLES VISITOR CENTER

LAYOUT OF THE PINNACLES

LAYOUT OF THE PINNACLES

THE PINNACLES SEEN FROM A LOOKOUT

THE PINNACLES SEEN FROM A LOOKOUT

DRIVING THROUGH THE PINNACLES

DRIVING THROUGH THE PINNACLES

PINNACLE FORMATIONS

PINNACLE FORMATIONS

PINNACLE FORMATIONS CAN BE AS HIGH AS 5 METERS

PINNACLE FORMATIONS
CAN BE AS HIGH AS 5 METERS

PINNACLES - Formed 25,000 to 30,000 years ago after the Indian Oceans coastal winds eroded the surrounding sand, leaving the limestone pillars exposed to the elements.

PINNACLES – Formed 25,000 to 30,000 years ago after the Indian Oceans coastal winds eroded the surrounding sand, leaving the limestone pillars exposed to the elements.

PINNACLES - History: The first known European recording of the Nambung area dates back to 1658, when the North and South Hummocks first appeared on Dutch maps. The Hummocks were also mentioned in navigator Philip Parker King’s journal in about 1820. Nambung is an Aboriginal word that means crooked or winding and it was from this river that the park was named.

PINNACLES – History: The first known European recording of the Nambung area dates back to 1658, when the North and South Hummocks first appeared on Dutch maps. The Hummocks were also mentioned in navigator Philip Parker King’s journal in about 1820. Nambung is an Aboriginal word that means crooked or winding and it was from this river that the park was named.

The Pinnacles Desert remained relatively unknown until the late 1960s, when the Department of Lands and Surveys agreed to add the area to the already existing national park, which had been established in 1956.

The Pinnacles Desert remained relatively unknown until the late 1960s, when the Department of Lands and Surveys agreed to add the area to the already existing national park, which had been established in 1956.

___________________________________________________________

PLANT LIFE AT THE PINNACLES

Native plant varieties: Panjang (a low wattle), coastal banjine, Acacia truncata, quandong (Santalum acuminatum), yellow tailflower (Anthocercis), thick-leaved fanflower (Scaevola crassifolia) and white clematis and cockies tongues are some of Nambung’s common plant species. Parrotbush (Dryandra sessilis) becomes more common as you get closer to the Pinnacles and candle banksia(Banksia attenuata), firewood banksia (Banksia menziesii)and sawtooth banksia (Banksia prionotes) are also common in the park.

VARIETY OF PLANT LIFE AT THE PINNACLES

VARIETY OF PLANT LIFE AT THE PINNACLES

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

_________________________________________________________

YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

Yanchep National Park
Yanchep is a national park in Western Australia , 42kilometres (26 mi) north of Perth. The park is noted for its caves,native bush and koala colonies.

History
The area was inhabited and was a noted hunting site for thousands of
years by Indigenous Australians prior to the arrival of Europeans. The
tribal name for the park is Nyanyi-Yandjip named after the reeds and
lake which were thought to resemble the hairy mane of the dreamtime
creature the Waugul.
The word Yanchep is derived from Yandjip or Yanget which is the
aboriginal name for the local bulrush reed found fringing the lakes in
the area.
The first European visitor arrived in 1834 when John Butler, a farmer,
came in search of his lost cattle and noted the presence of the lakes,
wetlands and plentiful game. While in the area Butler was greeted
by the men of the Yellagonga peoples who inhabited the area.
Lieutenant George Grey travelled through the area in 1838 and made
note of the remarkable caves he found in the area.
Surveyor John Septimus Roe and Governor John Hutt visited the caves in
the park in 1841.
A road survey was conducted near Loch McNess in 1862 and later in 1865
a stock route was built through the area that was later used by
drovers.
The first settler to arrive in the area was Henry White who arrived in
1901 and built his house near the north west shore of Yonderup Lake,
he was later appointed as a caretaker and guide in 1903.
Flora and fauna
The park is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna. Trees such as
Banksias, Paperbark, Tuart, Marri, Sheoak and stunted Jarrah are found
in the woodland areas. Wildflowers including Parrot Bush, Yanchep
Rose, Catspaw and Kangaroo paw are also found.
The park provides habitat for several species of native mammal,
including the Quenda, Western Grey Kangaroo and Black-glove Wallaby.
It lies within the Northern Swan Coastal Plain Important Bird Area, so
identified by BirdLife International because of its importance in
supporting several thousand Short-billed Black Cockatoos during the
non-breeding season.

YANCHEP INN

YANCHEP INN

MANY BANKSIA PLANTS FOUND AT THE YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

MANY BANKSIA PLANTS FOUND AT THE YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

WILDFLOWERS AT THE YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

WILDFLOWERS AT THE YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

WILDFLOWER VARIETIES CAN BE SEEN AT THE YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

WILDFLOWER VARIETIES CAN BE SEEN AT THE YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

KOALAS ARE ALSO SEEN AT YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

KOALAS ARE ALSO SEEN AT YANCHEP NATIONAL PARK

_________________________________________________________

PERTH

Perth is the capital and largest city of the Australian state
of Western Australia. It is the fourth most populous city in
Australia, with an estimated population of 1.9 million living in
Greater Perth Part of the South West Land Division of Western
Australia, the majority of the metropolitan area of Perth is located
on the Swan Coastal Plain, a narrow strip between the Indian Ocean and
the Darling Scarp, a low coastal escarpment. The first areas settled
were on the Swan River, with the city’s central business district and
port (Fremantle) both located on its shores. Perth is formally divided
into a number of local government areas, which themselves consist of a
large number of suburbs, extending from Two Rocks in the north to
Rockingham in the south, and east inland to The Lakes.

Perth was originally founded by Captain James Stirling in 1829 as the
administrative center of the Swan River Colony, and gained city status
in 1856 (currently vested in the smaller City of Perth). The city is
named for Perth, Scotland, by influence of Sir George Murray, then
British Secretary of State for War and the Colonies. The city’s
population increased substantially as a result of the Western
Australian gold rushes in the late 19th century, largely as a result
of emigration from the eastern colonies of Australia. During
Australia’s involvement in World War II, Fremantle served as a base
for submarines operating in the Pacific Theatre and the US Navy
relocated the Catalina Patrol Wing No. 10 to Matilda Bay. The
Americans brought with them about 60 – 70 Catalinas or flying boats
and 1,200 personnel. WIth American, Australian and Dutch pilots and
crew, the Swan River became their base and was a training ground for
combat support and reconnaissance missions that took them as far north
as Sri Lanka. An influx of immigrants after the war, predominantly
from Britain, Greece, Italy and Yugoslavia led to rapid population
growth. This was followed by a surge in economic activity flowing from
several mining booms in the late 20th and early 21st centuries that
saw Perth become the regional headquarters for a number of colossal
mining operations located around the state.

As part of Perth’s role as the capital of Western Australia, the
state’s Parliament and Supreme Court are located within the city, as
well as Government House, the residence of the Governor of Western
Australia. Perth became known worldwide as the “City of Light” when
city residents lit their house lights and streetlights as American
astronaut John Glenn passed overhead while orbiting the earth on
Friendship 7 in 1962. The city repeated the act as Glenn
passed overhead on the Space Shuttle in 1998.Perth came 9th
in the Economist Intelligence Unit’s August 2012 list of the world’s
most liveable cities, and was classified by the Globalization and
World Cities Research Network in 2010 as a world city.

Isolation

The nearest city to Perth with a population of more than 100,000 is Adelaide, South Australia, which is 2,104 kilometres (1,307 mi) away. Author Bill Bryson states that Perth is the most remote city on earth, which he justifies by noting that the population of metropolitan Perth is greater than the combined populations of the rest of Western Australia, the Northern Territory and South Australia, west of Adelaide. However, other measures suggest that Honolulu (population 900,000), which is 3,841 kilometres (2,387 mi) from San Francisco; or Auckland (population 1.5M), which is 2,153 kilometres (1,338 mi) from Sydney, New South Wales, are more isolated.

PERTH/NORTHBRIDGE A DISTRICT IN PERTH

Northbridge is close to the centre of Perth, the other side of the Perth train station from the city shopping malls. Its the more place to go for the independent end of shopping, art and eating. After dark emerge a wide choice of restaurants and nightlife.

 

 

ST. BRIGIDS CHURCH – A HERITAGE LISTED CATHOLIC CHURCH IN NORTHBRIDGE

ST. BRIGIDS CHURCH – A HERITAGE LISTED CATHOLIC CHURCH IN NORTHBRIDGE

 

 

 

HANS CAFE  NORTHBRIDGE PERTH

HANS CAFE NORTHBRIDGE PERTH

BRASS MONKEY HOTEL NORTHBRIDGE PERTH

BRASS MONKEY HOTEL NORTHBRIDGE PERTH

BANKWEST BUILDING SEEN FROM NORTHBRIDGE IN PERTH

BANKWEST BUILDING SEEN FROM NORTHBRIDGE IN PERTH

TRAINS AWAITING DEPARTURE AT A PERTH STATION - PERTH METRO RAIL PROJECT IS MODERNING THE METRO SYSTEM IN PERTH

TRAINS AWAITING DEPARTURE AT A PERTH STATION – PERTH METRO RAIL PROJECT IS MODERNING THE METRO SYSTEM IN PERTH

THE OLD AND NEW- BANKWEST BUILDING IN THE BACKGROUNDAND THE HOTEL WENTORTH BUILT IN 1929

THE OLD AND NEW- BANK WEST BUILDING IN THE BACKGROUND AND THE ROYAL HOTEL – BUILT IN 1882 AND STILL OPERATED AS A HOTEL.OOn t south-western corner of Wellington and William Streets is the Royal Hotel. The building was constructed as the Royal Hotel in 1882 and has continuously operated as such until present er of Wellington and William Streets is the Royal Hotel. The building was constructed as the Royal Hotel in 188 and has continuously operated as such until present  dayOn

HOTEL WENTWORTH PERTH

HOTEL WENTWORTH PERTH

SCULPTURE IN  PBLIC SPACE IN PERTH

SCULPTURE IN PBLIC SPACE IN PERTH

POETRY LINE  PLAQUE IN FRONT OF THR POST OFFICE

POETRY LINE PLAQUE IN FRONT OF THR POST OFFICE

PERTH POST  OFFICE

PERTH POST OFFICE

PERTH SKYSCRAPER

PERTH SKYSCRAPER

ENTRANCE TO AN OFFICE BUILDING IN PERTH

ENTRANCE TO AN OFFICE BUILDING IN PERTH

SINGAPORE AIRLINES BUILDING IN PERTH

SINGAPORE AIRLINES BUILDING IN PERTH

WILLIAM STREET - PERTH

WILLIAM STREET – PERTH

HISTORICNBANKWEST BUILDING FORMERLY THE PALACE HOTEL

HISTORIC BANKWEST BUILDING FORMERLY THE PALACE HOTEL

United Friendly Societies A.D. 1899 The building in Beaufort Street is an example of Federation Free Classical style.

United Friendly Societies A.D. 1899
The building in Beaufort Street is an example of Federation Free Classical style.

HISTORIC ENTRANCE TO  PERTH TAFE (Technical and Further Education)

HISTORIC ENTRANCE TO PERTH TAFE (Technical and Further Education)

OLD SWAN BARRACKS HOTEL -  The Swan Barracks was built in 1896 and the central stone tower and enormous drill hall behind it have the distinction of being the oldest buildings in Northbridge

OLD SWAN BARRACKS HOTEL –
The Swan Barracks was built in 1896 and the central stone tower and enormous drill hall behind it have the distinction of being the oldest buildings in Northbridge

_____________________________________________________

KINGS PARK
Kings Park, is a 4.06-square-kilometre (1,003-acre) park located on
the western edge of the central business district in Perth, Western
Australia, Australia. The park is a mixture of grassed parkland,
botanical gardens and natural bushland on Mount Eliza with two thirds
of the grounds conserved as native bushland. With panoramic views of
the Swan River and Darling Range, it is home to over 300 native plant
varieties and 80 bird species. It overlooks the city as well as Perth
Water and Melville Water on the Swan River.

It is one of the largest inner city parks in the world and the most
popular visitor destination in Western Australia, being visited by
over five million people each year.The park is larger than New York’s
Central Park which is 3.41 km².

Besides tourist facilities Kings Park contains the State War Memorial,
the Royal Kings Park Tennis club and a reservoir. The streets are tree
lined with individual plaques dedicated by family members to Western
Australian service men and women who died in World War I and World War
II.

During September of each year Kings Park hosts Australia’s largest
wildflower show and exhibition – the Kings Park Festival.

KINGS PARK IEW OF PERTH

KINGS PARK VIEW OF PERTH

STATUE OF QUENN VICTORIA

STATUE OF QUENN VICTORIA

STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA (DETAIL)

STATUE OF QUEEN VICTORIA (DETAIL)

STATE WAR MEMORIAL PLAQUE

STATE WAR MEMORIAL PLAQUE –

The State War Memorial, situated in Kings Park, overlooks the City of Perth with beautiful views of the Swan and Canning Rivers and the Darling Ranges. The memorial was developed around an obelisk as the principal feature, which is almost a replica of the Australian Imperial Force Memorials erected in France and Belgium. The heavy concrete foundations are supplemented by heavy brick walls which enclose an inner chamber or crypt on whose walls are recorded the names of men and woman from Western Australia who were killed in action during World War 1 and all subsequent conflicts.

Construction was started in 1928 and completed on 24 November 1929, when it was unveiled by the State Governor and committed to the custody and care of the Western Australian Branch of the League. At each State Congress, the Branch elects a Warden to guard this trust for a 12 month period and this appointment is rotated annually between a distinguished civilian and an ex-serviceman or woman. Ex-service appointments are also rotated and attend every wreath-laying ceremony and, for many years, the members of the Highgate Sub-Branch have provided this service as well as maintaining over 1,100 plaques for the memorial trees in the Honour Avenues in the park.

STATE WAR MEMORIAL PERTH

STATE WAR MEMORIAL PERTH

STATE WAR MEMORIAL (DETAIL) PERTH

STATE WAR MEMORIAL (DETAIL) PERTH – OBELISK OF THE RISING SUN  —

The State War Memorial in Kings Park, overlooking the city. Erected after World War One the 18 metre tall obelisk stands on top of a chamber engraved with the names of the 7,000 odd Western Australians killed in the conflict. The fallen of later wars have been added with plaques both inside and on the exterior.

The flame of remembrance in the court of contemplation. The four pillars represent the Army, Navy, Airforce and Womens' Services

The flame of remembrance in the court of contemplation. The four pillars represent the Army, Navy, Airforce and Womens’ Services

The Court of Contemplation The court of contemplation at the State War Memorial.

The Court of Contemplation
The court of contemplation at the State War Memorial.

Perth South African War Memorial Print Page  Boer War Memorial Photographs supplied by Kent Watson The first war memorial erected in the Park, it honours Western Australian soldiers killed in the Boer War (1899-1902). The foundation stone for the memorial was laid by His Highness the Duke of Cornwall and York in July 1901 who had been in Australia to open the Parliament of the Commonwealth. The Krupp field gun was captured at Bothaville and presented to the State by the British Government in 1906. The South African War Memorial Statue was donated by Captain J. D. Cramb. The life size bronze sculpture of an Australian soldier by James White of Sydney deteriorated quickly and was replaced The new memorial statue was unveiled on the monument by the Governor of Western Australia , His Excellency Sir Harry Barron,  on the 23rd May 1915. The statue of solid hammered copper was made locally by Messrs Wunderlich and Co and cost £450. Half of the cost of the statue had been subscribed by public subscription and the rest by Government subsidy.   Sunday Times (Perth) 23rd May 1915.

Perth South African War Memorial Print Page
Boer War Memorial
Photographs supplied by Kent Watson
The first war memorial erected in the Park, it honours Western Australian soldiers killed in the Boer War (1899-1902). The foundation stone for the memorial was laid by His Highness the Duke of Cornwall and York in July 1901 who had been in Australia to open the Parliament of the Commonwealth. The Krupp field gun was captured at Bothaville and presented to the State by the British Government in 1906. The South African War Memorial Statue was donated by Captain J. D. Cramb. The life size bronze sculpture of an Australian soldier by James White of Sydney deteriorated quickly and was replaced
The new memorial statue was unveiled on the monument by the Governor of Western Australia , His Excellency Sir Harry Barron, on the 23rd May 1915. The statue of solid hammered copper was made locally by Messrs Wunderlich and Co and cost £450. Half of the cost of the statue had been subscribed by public subscription and the rest by Government subsidy.
Sunday Times (Perth) 23rd May 1915.

10TH LIGHT HORSE REGIMENT - Memorial erected in memory of Lieut Col TJ Todd CMG, DCM and Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Troopers of the the 10th Light Horse who fell in the Great War The foundation stone for the granite obelisk was laid by the Governor, Sir Francis Newdegate in Kings Park on the 8th October 1920. The regiment served on foot in Gallipoli, was the first to enter Jerusalem and Damascus and served in the Egyptian rebellion. The regiment had lost 299 of its 3,300 men in the war , The Minister for Education, Mr Colebatch, stated that funds for the memorial came in small sums from all parts of the State. The Brisbane Courier (Qld.), 9th October 1920. The Memorial was unveiled by the Governor on the 13th March 1921 after which a short memorial service was conducted by the Chaplain-General , Archbishop Riley. The West Australian (Perth), 12th March 1921. At the outbreak of World War One in 1914 the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) was raised. Initially a mounted unit was not required from Western Australia however approval was given for C Squadron of the 7th Light Horse Regiment to be formed in Western Australia. The balance came from Queensland and New South Wales. Interest was so great that it was realised that a complete Regiment could be formed by Western Australians and the 10th Light Horse Regiment was established. The Regiment first saw action on Gallipoli Peninsula as Infantry; their baptism of fire being at Quinn`s Post and Pope`s Hill. As part of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade, the Regiment, together with the 8th Light Horse Regiment was involved in the action at The Nek where both units showed outstanding gallantry but suffered severely. The only Victoria Cross gained by an Australian Light Horse unit was won on Gallipoli by Second-Lieutenant H.V. Throssell of 10th Light Horse at Hill 60 in August 1915.

10TH LIGHT HORSE REGIMENT – Memorial erected in memory of Lieut Col TJ Todd CMG, DCM and Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Troopers of the the 10th Light Horse who fell in the Great War
The foundation stone for the granite obelisk was laid by the Governor, Sir Francis Newdegate in Kings Park on the 8th October 1920. The regiment served on foot in Gallipoli, was the first to enter Jerusalem and Damascus and served in the Egyptian rebellion. The regiment had lost 299 of its 3,300 men in the war , The Minister for Education, Mr Colebatch, stated that funds for the memorial came in small sums from all parts of the State. The Brisbane Courier (Qld.), 9th October 1920.
The Memorial was unveiled by the Governor on the 13th March 1921 after which a short memorial service was conducted by the Chaplain-General , Archbishop Riley. The West Australian (Perth), 12th March 1921.
At the outbreak of World War One in 1914 the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) was raised. Initially a mounted unit was not required from Western Australia however approval was given for C Squadron of the 7th Light Horse Regiment to be formed in Western Australia. The balance came from Queensland and New South Wales.
Interest was so great that it was realised that a complete Regiment could be formed by Western Australians and the 10th Light Horse Regiment was established. The Regiment first saw action on Gallipoli Peninsula as Infantry; their baptism of fire being at Quinn`s Post and Pope`s Hill. As part of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade, the Regiment, together with the 8th Light Horse Regiment was involved in the action at The Nek where both units showed outstanding gallantry but suffered severely.
The only Victoria Cross gained by an Australian Light Horse unit was won on Gallipoli by Second-Lieutenant H.V. Throssell of 10th Light Horse at Hill 60 in August 1915.

Jewish War Memorial Erected in 1920 to honour soldiers of the Jewish faith who died in WWI. A plaque was added in 1953 to commemorate those who died in WWII.

Jewish War Memorial
Erected in 1920 to honour soldiers of the Jewish faith who died in WWI. A plaque was added in 1953 to commemorate those who died in WWII.

JEWISH WAR MEMORIAL (DETAIL)

JEWISH WAR MEMORIAL (DETAIL)

KINGS PARK

Botanic Garden

The botanic garden is an 18 hectare site within the park. Currently known as the Western Australian Botanic Garden it has a collection of 2000 species of Western Australian flora on display. Botanic Garden is part of the worldwide network of botanic gardens committed to plant conservation. The garden was designed by John Oldham, who held the position of Government Landscape Architect at the time. It was established to showcase the flora of Western Australia to those visiting Perth for the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games, although the official opening did not take place until 1965.Botanic Garden is today home to over half of Australia’s 25,000 plant species and the following popular landmarks.

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN BOTANICAL GARDEN

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN BOTANICAL GARDEN

STORY OF FEDERATION

STORY OF FEDERATION

MENZIES BANKSIA

MENZIES BANKSIA

 

MENZIES BANKSIA

MENZIES BANKSI

MACROZAMIA FRASERI

MACROZAMIA FRASERI

MACROZAMIA FRASERI

MACROZAMIA FRASERI

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
GIJA JUMULU  -  Gija Jumulu is a boab tree (Adansonia gregorii) which was transported 3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi) from Telegraph Creek, near Warmun in the Kimberley region of Western Australia to Kings Park in Perth. This was the longest land journey of a similar sized tree in history. The tree was removed to make way for the construction of a road bridge on Great Northern Highway[2] and was replanted at the Two Rivers Lookout, at the end of Forrest Carpark in Kings Park on 20 July 2008. The 36-tonne tree is estimated to be 750 years old and is named from the local indigenous people near Warmun, the Gija, and their word for boab trees, Jumulu. Boabs are believed to live up to 2,000 years. The tree received some superficial damage on its southern side trunk during its journey south which resulted in some bark becoming rotten. Arborists at Kings Park have removed the damaged material and expect the wounds to eventually disappear. Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Adansonia gregorii in Kings Park, Western Australia

GIJA JUMULU – Gija Jumulu is a boab tree (Adansonia gregorii) which was transported
3,200 kilometres (2,000 mi) from Telegraph Creek, near Warmun in the
Kimberley region of Western Australia to Kings Park in Perth. This was
the longest land journey of a similar sized tree in history.
The tree was removed to make way for the construction of a road bridge
on Great Northern Highway and was replanted at the Two Rivers
Lookout, at the end of Forrest Carpark in Kings Park on 20 July 2008.
The 36-tonne tree is estimated to be 750 years old and is named from
the local indigenous people near Warmun, the Gija, and their word for
boab trees, Jumulu. Boabs are believed to live up to 2,000 years.
The tree received some superficial damage on its southern side trunk
during its journey south which resulted in some bark becoming rotten.
Arborists at Kings Park have removed the damaged material and expect
the wounds to eventually disappear.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Adansonia gregorii in Kings
Park, Western Australia

_________________________________________________
ART GALLERY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA

The Art Gallery of Western Australia has a fantastic collection of Aboriginal artworks and a fine permanent exhibition of early Europeans-in-Australia paintings.

The Art Gallery of Western Australia is a public gallery that is part
of the Perth Cultural Center, in Perth, Western Australia. It is
located near the Western Australian Museum and State Library of
Western Australia. The current gallery opened in 1979.
The State’s art collection consists of over 15,500 works of art,
and the Art Gallery is visited by approximately 400,000 people
annually.The Art Gallery was originally housed in the Jubilee Building with the
State Museum and Library. The Jubilee Building, which was intended
to be a public library only, was to be opened in honor of Queen
Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887, but instead, only the first stone
for the foundation was laid. The foundation stone was laid for the
Art Gallery in July 1901 by the Duke of Cornwall and York, shortly
after the federation of Australia.

The Art Gallery Administration Building is housed in the former Police
Quarters, designed by architect Hillson Beasley, who also designed
Government House. It was built during the economic boom created by
the 1890s Kalgoorlie gold rush.[ The Administration Building moved
into the Police Quarters in the 1970s during the nickel mining
boom.

Ongoing exhibitions include Indigenous traditional and contemporary
art from the Northern Territory and Western Australia, and WA art from
the 1820s to 1960s.

The following is a sampling of the traditional and contemporary that I saw at the Art Gallery of Western Australia.

IMG_5136

IMG_5138

IMG_5141

IMG_5148

IMG_5150

IMG_5151

IMG_5155

IMG_5156

IMG_5157

IMG_5163

IMG_5165

IMG_5167

IMG_5171

IMG_5172

IMG_5174

IMG_5176

IMG_5179

IMG_5182

IMG_5186IMG_5193

IMG_5196

IMG_5199IMG_5206

IMG_5213

IMG_5219

IMG_5220

POEMS:

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

BY JOHN BOYLE O’REILLY

O BEAUTEOUS Southland! land of yellow air,
That hangeth o’er thee slumbering, and doth hold
The moveless foliage of thy valleys fair
And wooded hills, like aureole of gold.

O thou, discovered ere the fitting time,
Ere Nature in completion turned thee forth!
Ere aught was fniished but thy peerless clime.
Thy virgin brcatli allured the amorous North.

O land, God made thee wondrous to the eye!
But his sweet singers thou hast never heard;
He left thee, meaning to come by and by,
And give rich voice to every bright-winged bird.

He painted with fresh hues thy myriad flowers,
But left them scentless: ah! their woful dole,
Like sad reproach of their Creator’s powers,
To make so sweet fair bodies, void of soul.

He gave thee trees of odorous precious wood,
But midst them all bloomed not one tree of fruit;
He looked, but said not that his work was good,
When leaving thee all perfumeless and mute. blessed thy flowers with honey: every bell
Looks earthward, sunward, with a yearning wist;
But no bee-lover ever notes the swell
Of hearts, like lips, a-hungering to be kist.

O strange land, thou art virgin! thou art more
Than fig-tree barren! Would that I could paint
For others’ eyes the glory of the shore
Where last I saw thee; but the senses faint

In soft delicious dreaming when- they drain
Thy wine of color. Virgin fair thou art,
All sweetly fertile, waiting with soft pain
The spouse who comes to wake thy sleeping heart.

________________________________________

A THOUSAND MILES TO CATCH A DREAM

BY

BRIAN LANGLEY

Was in the southern winter months

the young man came to fish
the rugged shores near Quobba Point.
He’d always had a wish

to cast a line into the sea.
To him, it didn’t seem
a long long way to come from home,
To maybe catch a dream.

There’s more big fish at Quobba
than anywhere, it’s said.
A thousand miles is not too far.
When dreams are in your head.

A thousand miles to catch a dream,
while a thousand miles away
his family, they could picture him
fulfilling dreams that day.

He stood upon the jagged rocks
ten feet above the waves,
and heard them sigh as each one passed
into the limestone caves

that nature, in ten thousand years
had worn beneath his feet.
The young man gazed into the sea,
his dreams not yet complete.

He cast his bait into the waves,
with hope that he might feel
the ecstasy a strike will bring
as line screams from his reel.

A bite. He jerks. The hook is set.
He makes a silent wish.
That dreams becomes reality
and he can catch this fish.

He reels in line to keep it taut,
walks closer to the edge.
No way that he will let this fish
get snagged upon a ledge.

Then from the sea, a mighty wave,
from nowhere so it seems.
A wave that changes destiny.
A wave that shatters dreams.

For when the wave had passed away
and all its fury spent.
The young mans friends could only stare
and wonder where he went.

For all that there was there to see
was a rainbow in the spray.
And the ocean sighing gently
with each wave that crossed the bay

His friends and family later came
to say their last goodbye
and ponder on the mystery
of why he had to die.

For it seems that young men do not heed
the warnings that they see.
They never pause to ponder on
their own mortality.

For as you come to Quobba,
there’s a sign that’s three feet high.
A sign that tells you “King Waves Kill.”
It stares you in the eye.

But signs and warnings go unseen
by many in this place.
They’ve come for dreams of giant fish.
They’ve gone without a trace.

For the ocean, here at Quobba
quite often hides its dead.
They’re buried in the caves beneath
the rocks on which we tread.

••••••••••••••••

They set a plaque into the rocks,
a plaque that gives his name.
A plaque that tells the story,
the reason that he came.

A thousand miles to catch a dream.
It’s there for all to see.
Set in bronze, upon the rocks
A place in history.

A thousand miles to catch a dream.
While a thousand miles away
his family they cannot forget
that fateful winter’s day

© Brian Langley 18th May 2000

 

PHOTOS:   LEONARD EPSTEIN – JANELLE BURGESS
One Comment leave one →
  1. Nicholas Cook permalink
    October 4, 2013 9:22 am

    The magic orb guy is Phil

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: